New Project, Trial and Error

Friday, December 28, 2007


Yesterday and today have been filled with hits and misses in regards to my wings. Over the last several days I have finished the burning process (thank God, because I couldn't stand it any longer). I decided to move on to modifying the ruck sack to mount the wings. Last night at Lowe's I picked out some hinges, two colors of stain, and several sizes of nuts and bolts. This morning I woke up totally excited to plunge into work but was disappointed when I realized that I needed to change my original plan. The hinges I got where the wrong size, the stains I got turned out to be too dark, the bolts I got stood up to high, etc., etc. I had to go back to Lowe's. After picking up the things I needed, I made a stop at the fabric store to check out their stock of leather and vinyls. I found two nice pieces of vinyl in the clearance bin. I'm planning on fashioning a slip-on exterior to hide the look of the metal frame. The vinyls I picked up both look like cracked leather and are soft and thin enough that I'll be able to sew them myself. I just need to choose which of the two to use. Of course, since I had the vinyl I had to make a stop at the craft store to pick up some sturdy leather-craft sewing needles and thread. Once that was over I headed home and was able to make some progress. I tested my stains and they look good. The wood is birch and so the grain varies in tones throughout. I was able to mount the back pad with velcro and cut the board for the back of the ruck. The wings will be mounted to this piece of wood. I was able to drill right through the metal frame.

0 comments: