High on Art

Wednesday, October 31, 2007





This morning after breakfast (and still in my PJ's) I decided to mix and pour a coat of epoxy resin over two pieces I recently finished. The resin has to be stirred vigorously before pouring, which causes bubbles. One of the ways to release the bubbles is to blow on the surface, but the box warns not to inhale the fumes while doing so. While this method does sound a bit less tricky than the alternative blow torch solution, it is not as easy as it sounds. Because the stuff sets up pretty quickly, you have to work fast, especially if it's a large piece. As I continued to blow the bubbles out, I couldn't help sucking in more of the toxic air. Needless to say, I soon found myself propped up against an easel, laughing about something I can't quite put my finger on. My advice to others who may be curious at trying epoxy resin on your artwork is the same I give to my students at school: Kids, don't try this at home...and if you do, don't let your parents catch you!

One of the pieces I covered in resin is called War Paint. I completed this piece in 2006 but was never satisfied with it so I put it away in a dark corner of my studio. Once I got into screenprinting I knew that I wanted to totally revamp the piece using this technique. The piece has a powerful feminist voice. It shows four images of a woman applying makeup, coupled with the phrase: Prepare For Battle. It likens the idea of a woman applying makeup to go battle the day--to a warrior putting on war paint to go into combat.

Overall it takes on a Warholesque look, especially with the highly shiny resin surface.

2 comments:

danielnorth.com said...

when did you dive into the use of resin?

Leslie Pearson said...

I started using it with the five panel piece called Taming the Shrew and I really like the look. I've used it on several pieces since. If you decide to try it, open some windows, especially with the kids around.