Going Global...?

Sunday, November 4, 2007


This week I went to an ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) convention in Greensboro, NC. Among the many interesting seminars I chose to go to was one called Make the World Your Classroom. The seminar was geared toward recruiting teachers to teach internationally through organizations like Grace International School and Network of International Christian Schools. These schools basically serve the educational needs of missionary's kids and in some cases, international students. It made me remember my first short term mission trip to a remote area of Mexico in 1994. I went with a group of people from a church in Poplar Bluff, MO. I was only 17 and this was my first real adventure. Needless to say: CULTURE SHOCK!!


As you can see from the photo, I am less than thrilled with the thought of using an outhouse (note the yellow nose clip). In the last 15 years since that trip I have traveled quite a bit and have encountered worse "facilities".

Setting in that seminar I was totally excited at the thought of going on another global adventure. In college I often toyed with the idea of joining the peace corps. I have a deep desire to do something meaningful with my life. My true calling is to be an artist and I go after that pursuit with arms wide open. I do find meaning for my life in this way but I also want to do some kind of service work. Being in the Army didn't satisfy that need. Maybe teaching art to kids overseas for a year or so will.

0 comments: