I'll have some mash potatoes, some corn, a wing, and...2 tickets to Rome

Thursday, November 22, 2007


At this time last year I was in Italy visiting my friend Katrina Nichols. She was stationed at the Army base in Vicenza as a broadcast journalist with AFN. We started our day at the chow hall for a Thanksgiving feast like I'd never seen before, complete with an ice sculpture and a live turkey.




By the end of the day we were walking the streets of Rome, taking in sights like the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain. As an artist and life long student of art history, I was most thankful that day for an opportunity to lay eyes on two truly amazing masterpieces by Caravaggio at the Cerasi Chapel of the church of Santa Maria del Popolo. These were The Conversion on the Way to Damascus, painted in 1601, and The Crucifixion of St. Peter (1600).

The Conversion
depicts the moment recounted in Chapter 9 of Acts when Saul, soon to be the apostle Paul, fell on the road to Damascus. He heard the Lord say "I am Jesus, whom you persecute, arise and go into the city."


0 comments: