Wondering and Wandering

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Everyday when I wake up I sit in the quite of the morning sipping coffee and thinking. This is the time of day when I get my best ideas for new work and I wear my hand out writing in my journal. I always experience several types of emotions:
1. A sense of excitement and thankfulness about what the day holds for me.
2. A feeling of dread at anything else that keeps me from immediately going into the studio and acting on new ideas for work. This could be anything from going to the gym, teaching school, taking a shower or cleaning my house (I have to remind myself that I am the wife of an awesome and very supportive husband and he deserves a clean house and a hot meal on the table), or doctor's appointments.
3. A feeling of hope for my future.
4. A feeling of inadequacy -- like no matter how much time I spend in the studio, there will never be enough time in my life to complete the paintings floating around in my heart and head.

Sometimes all I ever want is to isolate myself and work. On my days off I treat my time like a little kid protecting his most beloved toy. On the other hand, I am nothing without relationships. I am always striving to find a good balance to my life. Luckily my husband helps me in this way; I usually leave it to him to organize our social life. He poses a plan for a movie or dinner out with friends, I whine about wanting to finish something I'm working on, he coaxes me out of my shell and I'm always thankful for the break in the end. I also selfishly enjoy casually talking about my work with other people, especially if they are of the kindred creative spirit.

I often wonder what would happen if I were ever given the opportunity to drop out of society for a brief time to create work. Perhaps it's time to explore the idea of an artist residency. I found a great one in India: Global Arts Village. Complete with quite days spent working independently surrounded by beautiful scenery and rich in culture. Did I mention that Indian food is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread...or should I say sliced Naan?

1 comments:

Rachel said...

The Global Arts Village looks great! What an inventive atmosphere...