Get Me Mine...an honest approach

Wednesday, November 7, 2007


I often struggle with the thought that my boundless ambition to be a successful artist is nothing more than vanity and self-centered (non-eternal) thinking. I spend a lot of time thinking about my work, producing work, daydreaming about what the future holds for my career, and praying for God to open doors, bless me, give me divine favor and financial prosperity. Is this wrong? Where's the balance?

John 17:1 (Jesus Prays for Himself)...
"Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,..."

Now, I am in no way likening myself to Christ or comparing my prayers for success as an artist to His prayers on the night of His impending death on the cross; but never-the-less, is it wrong for me to ask my Heavenly Father the same question?
"Glorify Your daughter in this life on earth, with these giftings You have given me, so that I also may glorify You."

I always know that every opportunity I'm given and every victory I have is because of God's hand on my life––in this way my successes are a reflection of His glory. I guess my prayer is that my hopes, dreams, desires and plans are in alignment with God's will for my life.
"My times are in Your hands..." (Psalm 31:15 NIV).

I wonder how many other artists struggle with a bit of guilt over how much of themselves goes into their art. Passion is such a strong and consuming thing.

2 comments:

danielnorth.com said...

My guilt is in time that could be spent with my family. That's it. Afterlife is meaningless to me if this one only gets done half-assed.

danielnorth.com said...

I see you're still using a palette... ah I remember those days... ha ...snark!(every once in a while someone needs to experience a troll on their blog, even a joking one)