Forgotten Scad

Sunday, October 14, 2007


You know how it feels when you put on a pair of jeans you haven't worn in awhile and you find 20 bucks in the pocket? Well, that's how I felt when I grabbed a book off the shelf and out fell a picture of one of my paintings that I'd totally forgotten about. The best part is that my immediate response to the work was "oh, I like that painting".
On the back of the photo I'd written the name of the person who had commissioned it while I was living in Kansas City, Missouri in 2001, just before I joined the Army. I don't think I named the piece anything other than Untitled but it is part of a larger series called Scad. For about three years I was really absorbed in painting intertwining squares and rectangles; I'm still fascinated by the shapes. Most of those pieces have sold but can still be seen on my website: www.amoveablefeast.us.
I call the series Scad because the word scads also means - a large indefinite number or amount.
One day I showed a friend a newly finished piece that was a 4ft x 8ft canvas filled with squares and his response was "scads". And there you have it.

2 comments:

danielnorth.com said...

I always have considered this series as some of your best work. Not to diminish the time you put into the other pieces and styles you've explored over the years, but your abstract legs seem to produce the most natural effect of walking tall (I include the wonderful bird images in this "abstract" umbrella).

Leslie Pearson said...

Thanks Daniel. I've been thinking of doing a few new non-objective pieces. My husband brings me little "presents" from the dumpsters at Fort Bragg. Lots of cool shapes from the packing surrounding the ammo, some grenade pins, etc. I'd like to do something more three dimensional but still painterly.