Too Ambitious?

Thursday, October 9, 2008

After the success of 'ol Long Horns, I got a little too ambitious and attempted to make a mask with even longer horns - and I wanted them to curl back. I did the sketch, cut the leather, proceeded with the usual wet form shaping, and started to get frustrated with the horns, which wouldn't cooperate. I decided to cut v shaped notches along the edges where the horns are meant to curl down. It dried pretty good and kept it's shape but the shafts of the horns are too long to support themselves. I bought some clear vinyl tubing, cut it into the right shape, fit it into the horns, and wrapped it all with a thin thread of wire. This worked perfectly to give the horns structure.
Unfortunately they are heavy. I'll have to come up with a way to keep this mask on the wearers head. A work in progress...

0 comments: