Owl Masks

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Last week I was challenged to create an owl mask. Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I looked at various photographs of owls in their natural settings and realized that owls come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Obviously, not purple, bronze, or silver but hey, I took this opportunity to use my artistic license. I'll be the first to admit that the last two styles of masks look like Viking Owls, but that's what I love about them. I ventured out into layering pieces of cut leather using leather cement. This adds more of a "feathery" look. The almond shaped beak took a minute to get right but I think it's actually the most comfortable mask style of all of the ones I've done so far. And, I was able to master the fine art of tying an adjustable elastic strap. Now they are suitable for all heads -- big and small. The paint job on these is more elaborate too. I have several layers and washes of color (especially on the last two), which gives it depth and dimension.









My brain is constantly on overload with ideas for working with leather. There are so many possibilities. I will also be posting a photo of the mask with the long horns. It turned out great! Who knew leather could stand on its own like that?

2 comments:

JB2001 said...

very cool! can I request a sasquatch mask?

Anonymous said...

I WOULD LOVE TO PURCHASE ONE OF THESE MASKS IF POSSIBLE!!


IF SO, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT

JAMIEHOAHA@GMAIL.COM

THANK YOU!