Googling...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

So I have a little secret...occasionally, not obsessively,...I Google myself. At least I admit it! Anyway, I do it because sometimes there are things floating around in cyberspace that I wouldn't know about otherwise. For instance, last night...err, this morning at 4am when I couldn't sleep, I Googled myself and realized that I needed to update a few of the free sites I have my artist profile on. I didn't realize the importance of the sites until the other day when someone came by the gallery to meet me and see my work in person. He had in his hand a print out of the Absolute Arts site. Apparently, this is the first site people come across when they type in my name. Shame on me, I haven't updated it in ages...like two years I think. So I decided to undertake this before my husband woke up and caught me Googling myself again...not that I do it very often. Once I updated that site I came across my resume which I posted a long time ago on the Women's Fund for Arts networking website. I updated it...then stumbled across this review of my show at Gallery 208 on the Arts Council's website:

Noted and prolific Fayetteville artist Leslie Pearson, unveils a show at Gallery 208 on January 24, 2008. Leslie Pearson is a noted and prolific artist in Fayetteville. She teaches art at Fayetteville Christian School, manages the Pearson Gallery, and creates works from her own studio. She has had a slew of solo exhibitions all over the United States and her art has been featured in group exhibitions as far away as Germany. Her current show uses narrative as a counterpoint to imagery; “My art explores life’s complexities and offers insight into the human condition, while primarily speaking through the experiences of women.” Leslie Pearson is particularly fascinated with the use of text in her work, as it can either illuminate or muddle a work. In Leslie’s art, “the interplay between the hand-painted words and images acts as an effective vehicle for communicating ideas.” She also focuses on bird imagery as a means to communicate strength, a sense of entrapment, and at the same time- femininity and freedom.

An engaging artist-- stop by and see her show at Gallery 208 at 208 Rowan Street, from January 24- April 13, 2008.


Now, I just had to share this because for starters, I've never been referred to as "a noted and prolific artist" Which feels pretty good.

Next I came across the Cape Fear Studio's website (where I have a solo show this month). I didn't realize they were going to highlight me with a whole page on their site much less did I know they were thinking this:
We are thrilled to welcome prestigious local artist Leslie Pearson. Known for her large pieces and defined style, Leslie is a gem in our community and we are thrilled to have her at Cape Fear Studios with her unique show entitled "Resonance and Relevance."

This just about makes my day...I'm a "prestigious" local artist and a "gem" in the community. I'm blushing!!

Ok, long story short...just Google yourself sometime. Go on, try it...there's no shame in it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Googling...sounds like it would tickle ; )

JB2001 said...

Funny post Les, I have googled myself before, found nothing, which is the way I want it. Granted, it probably helps that I go by "JB" now.

erica said...

it appears sometimes you google others, too. :)


don't worry, i also google myself. you are not alone in your "obsession."

Leslie Pearson said...

Guilty! I do Google pretty much any new person I meet. I'm naturally curious.