The Fine Art of Slow Roasting

Thursday, March 20, 2008



So the other day I bought a package of green coffee beans at our local Middle Eastern food market. I consider myself to be somewhat of a coffee snob (I pretty much keep to the Starbuck's or Seattle's Best brands), but I didn't even know it was possible for the average Joe (pardon the pun) to roast their own beans. The little lady who owns the shop tried her best to describe to me how to do it. Finally, through broken English and hand gestures, I deduced that it can be done right on the stove top in nothing more than a frying pan. So this afternoon I gave it a shot. I'll admit, it took a bit longer than I expected. I had the heat turned down pretty low because I was worried I would burn the beans, so it took about an hour. The beans have to be stirred continually. Overall, it yielded a pretty good cup.

1 comments:

Lynnea said...

I like community brand coffee with chicory. It is like drinking coffee at the cafe du monde in New Orleans.

I think it is easier to find in Mississippi and Louisiana.