Imperfect things are more beautiful

Monday, June 8, 2009

Today I started a new project in a series I'm working on. I'm using
sheer fabric that I bought years ago and used as curtains. I love
simple window treatments that do nothing more than diffuse the
daylight and easily move with a slight breeze.
I also love to reuse and repurpose things. I've taken these delicate
fabrics from their hiding place under the bed, and i'm giving them a
new life as a work of art. The first part of this process was to stain
the fabric with instant coffee crystals. As I sprayed, sprinkled, and
shook the coffee on using my fingers, I saw the fabric change into
something even more beautiful than before. The unpredictable splotches
and drips bring out something poetic in the fabric. Years ago, I
remember ironing and steaming the fabric with such care; I cringed
when a tiny spot got on an edge. Today I just surrendered to the
intuitive process of making this new piece. I'll be posting images as
I go.

0 comments: