Encaustics with MJ

Wednesday, January 7, 2009


I spent the afternoon hanging out in the studio my good friend MJ Cunningham. MJ is an artist who works in encaustics (painting into hot wax), and was willing to give me a tutorial. She showed me the basics of which supplies to buy and how to use them and even had some little projects for me to do. I learned how to get a bumpy textured surface by building up layer after layer of wax, then how to incorporate collage elements, and even how to make my own medium by combining the right proportions of beeswax and damar resin crystals. We were like mad scientists as we stirred and took temperature readings, and dropped more chucks of wax into our pot. It was so inspiring to see the endless possibilities of encaustic. I can't wait to dive in head first.










0 comments: