Guardian Angel

Thursday, September 11, 2008


Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the lord my soul to keep,
thy angels watch me through the night,
And keep me safe till morning's light.



This is a project I'm working on in which I have screenprinted the poem/prayer "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" onto a pillowcase. The text was screenprinted twice in two different colors, then another print of the silhouette, then the line drawing of the guardian angel. This was quite a project. I experimented with different colors and sizes of paper and different ways to distress the pillowcases using dyes, inks and tea stains. I will display the final piece as it is seen in the above photo, hung on clothes line, attached by clothes pins. So far I have done about 5 pillowcases. These are gallery pieces meant to be wall hangings, not commercial prints to be slept on. Overall, I think the piece is pretty effective. I will be posting these on my Etsy shop soon. Each is a one-of-a-kind original. They are like snowflakes or fingerprints -- similar, but no two alike.

0 comments: