Revisiting an old image

Wednesday, July 23, 2008


One of my favorite paintings, "Katie with Wings", (above) was sold in an art gallery earlier this year. I kept the original drawing and recently decided to do a silkscreen design and reuse the image. Obviously, I wasn't trying in any way to recreate the feel of the original oil painting, but using it in a new way appealed to me.

I used the drawing fluid/screen filler method and "drew" on the screen using a paint bottle with a tiny opening. This allowed me to have a bit more control with my lines. Once the process was complete, I printed the image onto flour sacks. The first is the off-white organic cotton sack and the second is a white sack that I distressed with two colors of ink. The ink adds an interesting effect but I'm not totally sold on it.

0 comments: