Shelby's Painting

Wednesday, May 14, 2008


A few months ago my friend Julie commissioned me to do a painting for her daughter Shelby, who I've been doing private lessons with all year. I've grown very attached to Shelby and wanted to do something special for her that she could enjoy now (at age 10) and forever. Julie gave me total control and allowed me to do anything I wanted...she was so trusting that she even paid me before seeing the piece. She wanted to see it for the first time with Shelby, so they could share the experience together.

Yesterday was the big unveiling and they both loved it. The piece is called Seek Truth and is an extension of my Wingspan series, in which I use bird imagery. It's a three-dimensional, mixed media painting that I mounted plexi-glass on and painted in reverse to create a layer of depth when properly lit. I incorporated the words: "seek truth, live free" as a personal reminder to Shelby to seek the truth in all things. By doing this, she will be free of the kind of things that could keep her bogged down in life. She loved it, not only for the message but also because I used her favorite color combination: blues and browns.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really LOVE that piece Leslie. It was great meeting you and Justin at RIPE and I hope you all have been doing well since. Been thinking about and praying for you! Sarah

JB2001 said...

What a great piece of art she can appreciate for the rest of her life. Their reaction is priceless, including the boys, I'm sure he wants one of his own now.

On another note, congrats on 1 year of blogging.

JB

erica said...

beautiful. just beautiful.
one day i'm gonna obtain the funds to secure one of your altered hymnals.

i LOVE your stuff.