The finished piece...

Sunday, January 20, 2008



My wooden wings are finally finished! I am so happy to have the installation complete. As it turns out, even though the wings are finished, I decided against showing them in my "Wingspan" exhibition at Gallery 208 because they need to be shown in an open area so they can be viewed from any angle. For now, they are on display at the Pearson Gallery. I have been torn on what to call this piece. At first I thought to call it "Wings to Fly By", then I considered "Ode to Icarus", but I finally went with "Wings". Simple. I want to make it clear to everyone that these are birds wings, not Angel wings. As of late, I have been fascinated with birds and often use the imagery as a metaphor for freedom and femininity.

Now, on to an explanation as to "why" I wanted to create this piece (I've received a few emails with this question). As an artist I am constantly inspired to create. I can be inspired by nearly anything and I am influenced by everything that happens to me in my everyday routine of life. I am often driven to try out things because of my natural curiosity to see if it can be done, and if it can be, then how. I love to make things and if I'm not doing something productive I feel bored and somewhat lost.

During the Thanksgiving holiday that I spent with family, my sister-in-law Jenn said in passing, "you should create your own life-size set of wings." To which I said, "that would be a lot of work." By the end of the day we were on-line searching for images of birds wings and discussing the possibilities. I decided to undertake the project as soon as I got back to my studio. I can't explain the satisfaction I feel at knowing that I created something tangible that people can see and touch, from nothing more than an abstract idea that popped into my head. Sometimes when a project is finished I'll say to my husband, "see, that's what I was talking about," when referring to one of my "what if...." moments.



I also want to point out that I found nearly everything to make this project. I was on a walk in my neighborhood when I found the frame under a pile of old suitcases setting curbside. I was given the belt for free. I found the metal stand outside by the dumpsters behind a hiking store. The stirrup straps, which are used and nicely broken in, were a steal on consignment at the horse tack shop near my house. I used one 8" x 4" sheet of birch wood, which cost $15. I went through two woodburning tools and several cans of spray paint. There was a lot of trial and error. I had to redo a couple of things, some things went as planned and other things failed, but overall I think they are amazing and the photos don't do them justice. I have ordered a photo book from Lulu.com to go in the book holder attached to the metal stand. I plan to do a mask to go along with this too...but not until I finish a couple of other art projects that are floating around in my mind. Enjoy the slideshow link below.





See more photos of "Wings" being made.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at your recent post, congrats on completeting the wings, they are very unique and beautiful. This might sound stupid but, is that something you could ever sell? If so, how much would you ask? Thanks for clarifying on the why? of the project.


have a good one,


J.B.

Anonymous said...

WOW. They are beautiful. The harness turned out just right. One comment on your blog inquires about you selling this piece. Somehow I can't imagine you ever selling it, though. Maybe that's because I was "present" for the whole process, from idea to completion. You amaze me, Leslie. Really.

Boogs

Leslie Pearson said...

I know, the "Wings" feel like my baby. It's actually a little hard to think of parting with them. It did take a long time to create them so now I just want to enjoy looking at them and showing them off to people who stop by the gallery. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from them so far. Having said all of that, I'm in the business of making art, and because this is how I make a living, I must sell when the time comes.