Doing

Wednesday, January 25, 2012


Distilled from a series of tape-recorded conversations with Ann Hamilton at the Headlands Center for the Arts, Sausalito, California, July 23 and 24, 1990:

HD: Where did you get your persistence, your tenacity? They seem in sync with your curiosity.

AH: I think it has something to do with my family, and being raised in the Midwest with a strong work ethic. But it too can get in the way and it has been a long slow process learning when not to be "doing." If you're too worried about these deadlines and you don't have enough time to ask "what if", you may lose the potential of "what if", which is where the ideas come. I have to have a lot of blank time to incubate. The repetitive processes in my installations are a "doing" way to create that blank space. The problem this year is that I haven't had enough of that. Increasingly I've felt like I've been having to make decisions all the time, rather than having that blank space to just do nothing. So when I get it, it's in taking walks, and not so much in the work, as it was before. This will change the work.

0 comments: