"Ties that Bind"

Thursday, December 31, 2009





























“Ties that Bind” started to take form, cognitively, when I was given a journal that my dad kept during the last two months of his life. As I read the words on the pages, my mind flashed with memories of him. I remembered seeing the same marks in the ledgers he kept of his collections, the lists he made, and even on my grade school report cards.
It occurred to me that everyone has ties to a personal history that goes back for generations, and even in nature, countless offshoots can develop from one central, mother root.
Although “Ties that Bind” has a visceral feel, not only in the way the forms make reference to the internal body and emotions, but also in the intuitive way it developed in the studio, I wasn’t trying to express any literal representation. Many viewers may identify the spheres as cellular, and the central form as a spine or womb, however, I like to think of them as “descendants” or “offshoots”, something that branches out or derives its existence or origin from a particular source.
The circular forms symbolize infinity, the circle of life, wholeness, a cycle of seasons, and the continuation of something. In this case, they also suggest the organic and regenerative nature of familial relationships. These relationships are the most dynamic and often, the most volatile that a person is involved in. They are sometimes nurturing, often dysfunctional, but undeniably part of everyone’s genetic makeup.
The use of text is a recurring element in my work. Aesthetically, I use it to incorporate visual texture, but it is also a way to add personal narrative and content to the work. It is believed that that specific stroke structures relate to the personality traits and emotional energy of the writer. Handwritten letters have a personal and nostalgic feeling, especially in the current age of emails and text messages.
I incorporated the journal entries and the many letters that my mother wrote me while I was in college and in the Army. The letters from my mom are all full of encouragement. I am amazed at the confidence they placed in me. The letters and journal entries were digitally printed onto distressed, sheer fabric and machine stitched in the same colors of the spheres; this forms the backbone of the piece that everything else stems from.
As I was working on the piece, I couldn’t help but wonder if I will ever be able to contribute to my family’s generational cycle, or if I will be introducing a new strand into the line.

The piece is made of several components including wet felted wool (acid dyed), needle felting, and machine stitched, digitally printed fabric.
The dimensions of the installation is variable, but is about 100" tall, 76" wide, and 60" deep.

0 comments: