Masonboro Moon

Thursday, October 15, 2009

I worked my tail off during the Fall break to complete this fabric collage called "Masonboro Moon". It's inspired by Masonboro Island where my husband and I love to go kayaking with our ACME friends Sandy and Dick Ihly. Masonboro Island is the largest undisturbed barrier island along the southern part of the North Carolina coast and is located approximately five miles southeast of Wilmington, in the most populous part of the North Carolina coast. The Island can only be reached by boat and since everything is dictated by the tide, we relish the nights when a full moon is out and we can paddle over for a camp fire and some good conversation.

Of course it can't go overlooked that the moon's phases play a role in the cycle of fertility, which is of interest to me.

Anyway, I employed a variety of techniques to complete this 6 foot wall piece. I started by hand dying all of the fabric (distressing some with coffee), I also created a silkscreen from an old Farmer's Almanac which advises on when to plant according to the phases of the moon. I worked out a sketch, then created it to scale using paper, and then started cutting out the fabric. The entire piece is made up of synthetic sheer fabrics and silk organza, which is a challenge to work with but so beautiful. I love the layering I can get with transparent fabrics. I did all the stitching on my machine using the zigzag stitch. I like the look of it and I really wanted to practice using the stitch. Lastly, I backed it and hung it from a piece of drift wood found on the Island. I really enjoy the two long dark lines in the right of the piece. I wanted to add some rectilinear lines to balance all of the curvilinear lines, but I also wanted them to be somewhat organic. There's also a lot of variance in the color, which is what I was aiming for.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ms. Leslie,
I absolutely love your Masonboro Moon the minute I saw it hanging up. I must be honest, when I first saw it, my heart sunk, I knew you had won that day.
None the less, wonderful! I know Ms. Zoller and others had commented on how they would have added some other colors, but thinking about it, I adore the piece the way it is. It screams Leslie! The colors are like coffee, yet earthen, intimate, and the subject matter is alive and mystical.
The moon phases and faces are extraordinary as you later coommented that this celestial planet elludes much to fertility, the night and water tides. Oh yes it does and so much more, it even symbolizes magic, mystery, romance, night, intuition, women and is a popular image to express the power of female spirits and goddesses. Not only that, I think its great how it narrates a story of you and your husband along with a few close friends journeying to an island, letting the waters and winds guide you to the perfect day with those you enjoy the most (the swirls and lines blotched color illicits movement and grace perfectly).
This alone gives your piece an air of refinement and wisdom (often times present in much of your mixed media works from what I've seen). I'm sorry I didn't say much of this in class, it's easier for me to make such comments here on the blog than it is in front of several peering eyes.
I would also like to thank you for allowing Ms. Carol and I to follow you to your personal work station and to see the things you are currently hard at work on. I also saw some images on your site that are very impressive (especially the wooden wings), the way in which the photographer caught your spirit and detail (both of you and your work) I could tell this was your husband's doing, I'd like to say how wonderful these photos are and will most assuredly prove invaluable in years to come in showcasing your work.
I look forward to seeing more of your art in textiles, I'm sure you've got quite a few tricks and ideas up your sleeves!

Chris G.

Leslie Pearson said...

Oh my gosh Chris!! Thank you so much for such an insightful posting. You are such a great person and an asset to our textile class. You will be an awesome book illustrator when you "grow up" ha ha. See you tomorrow ; )