More on my nest

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I wanted to say something more about this nest that I'm making. Nests
are a universally used and understood symbol that means different
things to different people...and different things to people at
different times of their lives. Wprds like home, shelter, protection,
womb, nurture, fragility, all come to mind. The circular shape in
itself represents so much too, like wholeness, spirituality, etc.
So for me, this piece is a response to the issue of infertility. I'm
planning on taking casts of my arms and of my husbands arms to serve
as the base of the piece. I'll be giving the nest the same treatment I
did in another piece I did referencing a spiritual source. I covered
it with wax and then painted it to look like it was cast bronze. Doing
this same treatment to the nest will give it a sense of heaviness,
which alludes to the weighty subject matter. It will be balanced upon
our hands which represents handling the subject delicately.
Now, I'd like to open up a dialogue about this work in progress. Id
love to hear any and all responses from people who are experiencing
infertility issues, or is there anyone who has a home that is empty
after kids have grown and left, is there any feedback on the form of
the sculpture itself? These responses will eventually become part of
this piece because I'll embed them into the structure (which will be
painted over, so don't hold back).
I can't wait to hear from everyone.

0 comments: