Leather Mask: Shaping

Thursday, August 7, 2008


After cutting out the mask pattern, I soaked it in hot water (not quite boiling) for a few minutes, took it out and patted it dry on a towel and then started forming it over the mannequin head I sculpted into a bird face earlier. I worked steadily, curling the edges to get a more finished look. I scored the feathers on the backside so they would bend a little. Once it was shaped, I let it dry overnight and it held its form nicely. I did talk to someone who explained to me that I used the wrong kind of leather (has too much texture and an unevenness in thickness throughout. I did some more research and now have the right (or more commonly used) leather. I will probably have two or three more masks before it's out of my system.

1 comments:

artwytch said...

Absolutely amazing detail on this. I have recently gotten into maskmaking myself and seem to be doing well enough at it. But this is a serious step above anything I've tried. Maybe I'll have to change that. Thanks.