The Last Day of the Year...Just Breath

Friday, December 31, 2010

Well, this concludes 2010. It seems like every second of every day is a race against time. Knee deep in several projects, my chest feels like it's being squeezed by a huge boa constrictor. Anxiety takes over at night and although my body is exhausted from the repetitive work I've been doing all day, my mind won't let me rest. 2010 has brought so much change. Another year of grad school down, my first semester of teaching under my belt, I've been in 25 exhibitions (freakin' A! is that even humanly possibly?), I've received several awards and been in several publications. Oh, and the move. We decided to move from our apartment in downtown Wilmington to a new house overlooking the Brunswick River. That has been so stressful and so time consuming that just thinking about it makes me want to reach for the flask of vodka in the pocket of the shabby bath robe I'm still wearing. (JOKING)

We are still in the middle of construction, still waiting for furniture to arrive, countertops to be installed, things to be organized. Chaos. I make lists - endless lists. Sometimes I wake up and want to cry because I know that deadlines are approaching, and as much as I love my work as an artist, I loath working against the clock.

So tomorrow starts 2011 and the things that it will bring for me make me smile. I'll be starting my thesis work and finishing grad school this time next year. In between now and the end, I'll be teaching two more semesters of textile classes and preparing for several exhibitions. My house will be nearly finished and I'll be making a transition back into my life (post grad school). I can work at my own pace and distance again. I can take a sigh of relief and watch the sun set while I lounge pool side. I'm going to Missouri to visit my family, I'm going to Florida over Spring break and I'm spending the first part of the Summer in Greece. I have plans, but really, anything could happen. (Note to self on "to do" list...be more flexible). Wait, what does God have to say about all of my planning?

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established." John Piper once said, "Planning is taken for granted and the issue is: How can you plan in such a way that what you produce will have abiding value and not just pass away overnight? Answer: Commit it to the Lord. That is, always seek the Lord's guidance and strength in your planning. Trust His wisdom and not your own. Then your plans will bear fruit that stays."

So, here's to the New Year...CHEERS!

0 comments: